This has become my go-to recipe for pasta sauce. I had several cherry tomato plants that went crazy last year and I was harvesting enough cherry tomatoes to make this sauce every 2-3 days. You can freeze this or can it. Either way, you are going to love opening one of these containers in the middle of the winter to smell the fresh tomatoes!
Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 1 Parchment Paper
- 3 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 lg onion, diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Wash tomatoes and remove stems from the tomatoes and put them in a bowl. Toss with olive oil and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes burst. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed dutch oven. Add the onions and cook til they start to become translucent - about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, herbs, and red pepper flakes and stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and all the cooking liquid and simmer for 25-30 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or blender to blend to your desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.